Metro News

Boko Haram Kills Nine Near Bombed Borno Camp Just As Army Claim To Have Reclaim All There Territories.

Boko Haram fighters killed nine people from a camp that was mistakenly bombed by the Nigerian military earlier this year, an aid worker and a resident said on Friday.

The aid worker, who asked not to be identified because he is not authorised to talk to the media, said the attack happened near Rann, in northeastern Borno state, on Wednesday.

“Nine people were killed while working on their farms about three kilometres (just under two miles) from Rann,” he told AFP.

“They were all IDPs (internally displaced persons) living in the camp but used the opportunity provided by the relative calm in the area to tend to their farms for the rainy season.

“The attackers were no doubt Boko Haram and used the cover provided by the crops to lay ambush to the farmers… They attacked them with machetes and knives.

“They seized nine and slit their throats while others escaped and returned to the camp with cuts on their bodies. Some, however, fled to neighbouring Cameroon.”

Usman Wumbi, an IDP who fled to the border village of Wumbi, confirmed the account, adding: “These attacks have become frequent, especially in the rainy season.

“They (Boko Haram) regularly ambush farmers and kill them.”

Boko Haram fighters killed at least two people in a raid on Wumbi in June 2016, forcing hundreds across the border.

Details of the latest incident have been slow to emerge because of poor to non-existent telephone networks in the remote area, which has been a hotspot for Boko Haram activity.

Fighters active in the area are thought to belong to the Boko Haram faction led by Abubakar Shekau.

A botched Nigerian air strike, intended to hit jihadist fighters, hit the IDP camp in Rann on January 17, killing at least 112 as aid workers distributed food.

The military blamed “lack of appropriate marking of the area” on maps for the mistake, despite running the camp and having provided NGOs with logistical details for their activities.

READ MORE:  Akeredolu orders probe into Assembly snake incident

Many of those in the camp were local people forced from their homes. Most were from the Kanuri ethnic group dominant in Borno state and also among Boko Haram.

Nigeria’s military considers Boko Haram a spent force. But attacks continue, particularly against farmers in hard-to-reach parts of rural Borno.

Meanwhile Nigerian Army on Friday said it had reclaimed all
territories earlier ransacked by Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East.Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, said this in a statement issued in Maiduguri.Nwachukwu dismissed as ‘misleading’, reports indicating that seven of the 27 local government areas of Borno State were still under Boko Haram control.

He described the insinuation as an attempt to propagate falsehood and a futile effort to misinform members of the public on the true security situation in the North-East.

Nwachukwu said that the Armed Forces under the Operation Lafiya Dole had recorded significant successes in the counter insurgency operation and had rooted out the insurgents from their major tactical enclave in Sambisa forest and their spiritual headquarters at Alagarno.

“It is very crucial to set the record straight by making it crystal clear that contrary to this misleading report, the Boko Haram terrorists do not hold or control any Local Government Area in Borno or in the North-East as claimed by some elements.

“Local government areas hitherto controlled by Boko Haram have been liberated by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.“The troops have continued to ensure security in the liberated areas after routing out the insurgents.

“Displaced persons are also encouraged to return to their communities, to resume their normal life”.Nwachukwu explained that the military had conducted various operations to enhance their operations, decimate the insurgents’ group and protect the nation’s territorial integrity.

READ MORE:  Ahead Of Sallah, Rams Everywhere, But None Is Ready To Buy. Read Why...

The Army spokesperson listed the exercises to include Operations DEEP PUNCH, CHIKIN GUDU and RAWAN KADA, adding that the operations were conducted in collaboration with the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

“These operations culminated in the degradation and incapacitation of Boko Haram insurgents.“Apparently, this is the reason the insurgents are striving to remain relevant by resorting to callous use of women and children to carry out suicide bomb attacks on soft and vulnerable targets,’’ he said.

Nwachukwu stressed that the army had initiated precursor operations to put a final onslaught to the insurgency in the North-East.He noted that a special Mobile Strike Force was launched in the theatre of operations to effectively patrol localities as well as seek out and neutralise the insurgents from their hideouts.“Recently, a total of 82 Boko Haram insurgents were killed in combat and 630 remote settlements cleared by troops.

“ Our troops are tirelessly on the trail of the fleeing insurgents as devastating coordinated aerial and artillery bombardments are being unleashed on the terrorist group. “The troops are therefore not waiting only to repel attacks as erroneously painted, but rather tactically deployed to deny the adversaries freedom of action and access to logistics.

“The insurgents are on the run and could not hold or control any territory. Boko Haram lacks the capability to hold any territory in the North-East”.

Nwachukwu reiterated the commitment of the military to end insurgency, protect lives and property as well as protect national territorial integrity.

He urged members of the public not be misguided by the misinformation and cooperate with security agencies.


There is no ads to display, Please add some

You Might Also Like