Ijorbgo Street in Upper Sokponba Road, Ikpobha Okha Local Council was on Sunday thrown into mourning following an unexplained inferno that razed down a bungalow killing a five- year-old boy.
The victim, whose identity could not be ascertained, was said to have been locked inside a room with his younger brother by their father, who hadgone out. But when contacted yesterday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Moses Nkombe said he was yet to be briefed on the incident. It was learnt that there was a generating set and a cooking stove in the house but it couldn’t be confirmed if that was the cause of the fire.
An eyewitness and resident of the area, Omoye Oriameh, said the intensity of the fire prevented rescue for the victim, who was trapped in one of the rooms in the building.
Oriameh said they heard the children crying for help through the window and one of the neighbours had to used an axe to break down the door to rescue one of the children, who is currently receiving treatment in the hospital, while the other was stuck inside one of the rooms.
Oriameh said the Fire Service came late when the fire had completely razed down the building. The survivor, it was learnt yesterday, has been transferred to the Intensive Care Unit at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) for further treatment.
There is no ads to display, Please add some